Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I hate spending money -- I don't hate football

So I took my already overpriced Honda Accord in for its 80,000 mile service yesterday and got some pretty standard work done. New brake pads, CV boots, a new battery and a little work on the door locks. Imagine my surprise when they plopped a $1,500.00 bill on my lap. Thanks, fellas! I really appreciate it! Herb Chambers seems like a cool guy with good taste in cars, but that’s probably the last time I have E.Honda serviced at one of his places. On the bright side, it was immaculate when I picked it up, which is never the case when I take it to a local place. Also, I got the chance to look at the cars in the showroom (this is on Comm Ave, where they have Infiniti, Honda, Mini, BMW, Saab and Porsche). Although it was on the top floor of the adjacent building, it appeared as though there was an old Porsche 959 on the third floor of the BMW/Porsche building. For those of you who don’t know about it, the 959 is the illest car on the planet. Once I graduate and am making $900,000 a year at 24, I’ll look into getting one.
Speaking of graduating, we are now officially nine days away from the start of college football. Who’s excited? This guy sure as hell is. To everyone headed back to school at (and I’m not hyperlinking this many damned schools) Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Michigan, MSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Rutgers, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, or Wisconsin – be grateful. Those of us at UMass, UNH, Appalachian State, Youngstown State, James Madison, Texas State and Richmond wish we had what you have. In case you didn’t get it, the first schools are the ones where going to a football game is awesome, the second set are schools where it should be but isn’t. And if you go to another 1-A (FBS) school and are currently saying “Hey, what about [Cincinnati, BC, WaSU, Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota]”, just realize that no one envies you.
Clearly I had nothing relevant to write about today, so here’s to Thursday -- I'll have a bit to discuss regarding the FIBA Tournament of Americas.

No comments: